Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Digital Music Library

0516081003 I have almost completed my first phase of going totally digital in my home.  I spent a few days last week ripping all of my CDs to MP3 format.  Well, like I said, I ripped almost all of my CDs.  I haven't gone through the Christmas CDs or my classical collection.

I used Windows Media Player to rip them at 320K, which is the highest setting it supports.

Why not use iTunes, you ask?  Well, I do have iTunes installed on the same computer, but I'm only using it to get music on and off of my iPod.  I like how WMP organizes the files, especially when it comes to album art.  With iTunes I see a file that claims to have the album art, but I don't know what format it's in.  With WMP there are actual JPEG files that get set as the folder image when browsing in Windows Explorer in "Thumbnails" view (like you see in the background of the picture above).

Plus, my ultimate goal is to get a Windows Media Center PC and extenders so that I'll have access to my media everywhere in the house, so I want to keep this as an all-Microsoft solution.  For the moment, though, I'll wait: the current CableCARD technology doesn't support "On Demand", yet.  Someday it will and my home media system will come to fruition.

In the meantime, my entire cabinet of CDs has been compressed down to one 500GB external USB hard drive.  It's a funny thing: now that I have my entire collection readily accessible I can't find anything to listen to!

No comments: