Thursday, August 27, 2009

Not off to a Good Start

Since I don't have a personal license for Visual Studio, I decided to download and install Visual Studio .NET 2008 Express.  Microsoft makes it very easy to install everything you need by downloading the Microsoft Web Platform.  That was the route I took to install Visual Web Developer.

It downloaded a small "loader" application which I used to choose which options to install.  There were many more options than I really needed, so I just chose the ones I knew I needed, and a couple others that I thought sounded cool.

That overall experience was nice, but required two reboots to complete.  One reboot for .NET 3.5 and another for the Microsoft Installer.

Then I started up Visual Web Developer, chose to create a new project, chose "Silverlight Application", gave it a name and folder to put it in.

Then it terminated unexpectedly.  No warning whatsoever.

When I started it back up, my project was listed in the "Recent Projects" list, so I clicked on it.  The Silverlight application was listed, but the web site to host it was not, so I assume that the crash happened when the web site was being created.  Not sure.

Stay tuned as I dig into this problem and try to get this first Silverlight application up and running!

No comments: