Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Strange Sight in Winston-Salem

I've been traveling on business to Winston-Salem, North Carolina, for the past, oh I don't remember, number of weeks. Well, a couple weeks ago I noticed that some crews were out marking up the streets--evidently getting ready for some sort of road-tearing-up-and-then-making-better project. Now this is not a doctored image--this really exists on Broad Street in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, in the good ol' USA: Yes, that is a manhole cover in the middle of the road. And I'm supposed to keep it closed. I'm fine with that--they're usually pretty heavy, and I'm usually wearing my business casual attire while walking by, so I'm apt to leave it alone. Leave me a comment with your ideas of why they felt the need to write this in the middle of the road!

2 comments:

Cat Pippitt said...

It's the Philosopher's/Sorcerer's Stone under there. Fluffy was away for a couple of days and left a note for all to stay out, including Snape.

Or it's the latest non-smoking section of yer favorite restaurant?

My imagination's not as wild as I'd wish, as you can see.

Anonymous said...

If you open it you'd let all the air out of Winston-Salem. BTW, I never visit towns that have hyphenated names.